Melinda Gates, Co-Chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation shared her incredible story and journey of generosity.
- She is a self described “Impatient Optimist” – Things are getting better, statistics bare that out but we can do better and we have the capacity to do better
- “In business you have data all the time from your customers, in the non-profit world, it is amazing how many decisions are being made without real data!”
- “One person can change the world and make a difference in another persons life”
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is the largest private foundation in the world with more than 1,400 employees
- She met Bill at Microsoft but left the company because she felt that they couldn’t have a great family and both have hard-charging careers.
- She has tried to give her kids a “normal” upbringing, she even uses her maiden name to enroll them in school.
- Growing up going to Catholic schools taught her the value of service, silent retreats, and other spiritual disciplines. She still carries out these practices in her life today.
- Bill and Melinda have used their intellectual horsepower to not just build a great business and wealth but also build an incredible Foundation and give back.
- “All lives equally matter-no matter where they live in the world”
- “The foundation is the embodiment of our values in the world” Their money follows their values.
- “We need to live out our values in the world.”
- “It’s in the humanity of the work where you connect with other people…”
Posted in Leadership