Last week the Unstuck Group hosted a successful webinar, “Making Multisite Work” with Tony Morgan, Warren Bird and members of the Unstuck Group. During that webinar I mentioned a “Campus Constant” document that we use at Sun Valley, a large multisite church in the Phoenix Metro area that I have the privilege of serving at, that helps us remain clear on our multisite model. During the live chat on the webinar we received multiple requests for me to share that document. So to make it easy I figured I’d just share it here for you. Feel free to learn from this and adapt it for your context. We’ve found that this document along with our leadership distinctives and “playbooks” developed by each Ministry Development Team member for each of their ministry areas has really helped us define, stay on track, and provide clarity to our multisite model.
Make sure you scroll to the bottom of this post to find the link to the replay of the webinar if you missed it and other multisite resources!
Mission: Helping people meet, know, and follow Jesus.
Vision: To help as many people meet, know and follow Jesus as we possibly can by growing a movement of reproducing Campuses and Churches.
By 2020, we believe God is leading us to:
– Experience 3,000 baptisms
– Expand to 7 campuses
– Start 7 new churches
– Start Residency Program
– Grow to 10,000 people in attendance
Strategy: This strategy serves as the foundation for spiritual growth.
- Meet: We help people meet Jesus through Weekend Services.
- Know: We help people know Jesus through Small Groups.
- Follow: We help people follow Jesus through opportunities to Give, Serve and Share
Cultural Values: These values are what keep us on target as we move towards our vision.
- Authenticity: Trusting Jesus and others with the real me.
- Community: Learning from Jesus through strong friendships centered around God’s Word.
- Generosity: Living like Jesus through giving, serving and sharing.
Leadership Distinctives: This is what we expect from those in leadership and what makes the Sun Valley Staff Culture so unique. Follow this link if you’re interested in seeing these distinctives written out.
Leadership Structure: At Sun Valley vision is global and leadership is local. Leadership authority and responsibility flows through the Campus Pastors and influence flows through Central Services and the Ministry Development Team. Every ministry of the Church at each Campus will operate under one leadership structure that ultimately comes under the authority of the Board of Servant Leaders and the Lead Pastor.
Campus Pastor Team: Campus Pastors are responsible for executing the Sun Valley Mission, Vision, Strategy, Values and Leadership Distinctives on their respective campus. The Campus Pastor role is a Management and Shepherding role at Sun Valley. They manage SV Kids, SV Students, SV Groups and Guest Service ministries on their campus. They also shepherd the staff, volunteers, and congregants at their campus.
Ministry Development Team: The Ministry Development Team influences the ministries on each Sun Valley Campus. They help to ensure that the following takes place on each Sun Valley Campus:
- Content: Curriculum and teaching in each sub-ministry environment is the same on each campus.
- Consistent: Ministry practices, behaviors, and experiences are consistent on each campus.
- Communication: Clear lines of communication exist between ministry counterparts on each campus as well as between the Ministry Development Team and the Campus Pastors.
- Coach: Observe sub-ministries and staff members on campuses and coach them towards effectiveness and Sun Valley cultural consistency.
Weekend Teaching: The Teaching Team will set the teaching schedule and will serve as the primary communicators either in person or by video.
Branding: Every Campus will operate under the same branding and communication strategy including a centralized website for the church representing all Campuses.
Financial Model: Every Campus will share these financial goals:
- Within 12 months, offerings from the Campus will cover its ongoing ministry expenses including staffing costs.
- Within 24 months, the Campus will also contribute its prorated portion of central service expenses.
- Within 36 months, the Campus will also contribute towards expansion endeavors.
Alignment: We choose to align the best practices, behaviors, and experiences on each of our Campuses, including SV Kids, SV Students, Groups, Missions, Guest Services, Weekend Services and Business Services.
SV Kids: We create safe environments for kids to experience fun and exciting ministry programming, create trust and partnership with parents, and provide a great guest experience to everyone.
- Early Childhood: Birth-Pre-K
- Elementary: K-4
SV Students: We create safe environments for students to experience fun and exciting relationally based ministry, create trust and partnerships with parents, and provide a great guest experience to everyone.
- Preteen: 5-6 Grade
- High: 7-8 Grade
- High School: 9-12 Grade
SV Groups: We help people get to know Jesus through strong friendship centered around God’s Word because we believe that life-change takes place best in the context of community. SV Groups provides leadership to move people through the spiritual formation pathway at Sun Valley including Yes Weekends, Starting Point, Baptisms, Bridge Groups, Small Groups, Recovery & Support Groups, and Local Outreach.
Guest Services: We provide an exceptional experience to every guest who attends a Sun Valley Campus every time. Each Campus builds and utilizes the following strategies and teams:
- Parking Team & New Here Park Here
- New Here Start Here
- Info Center
- Coffee Shop / Refreshments
- Campus Safety
Missions: Our strategic passions are 1) Church Planting 2) Leadership Development 3) Social Justice. Every mission partner we support and each short-term project we participate in will pass the filter of our strategic passions. Each Campus will participate in the same short-term projects and support the same partners. Each Campus will also participate in the generosity offerings annually.
Weekend Services: There is one centralized process to build the weekend worship experience from concept to completion and then deliver it to each campus. Beginning with biblical content, including creativity, and resulting in an exceptional and engaging Christ-centered experience.
Business Services: There will be one centralized process or system for administrative services including banking, budgeting, staffing, payroll, benefits, capital expenditures, I.T., church management software, facility management, lease agreements, legal needs, etc.
Multisite Resources from the Unstuck Group:
- Download our free White Paper: “One Team. Multiple Locations. How Staff Teams at Effective Multisite Churches Overcome Distance and Lead Together.”
- Watch a replay of our recent webinar: “Making Multisite Work, with Tony Morgan, Warren Bird, and members of The Unstuck Group team.”
- Multisite Consulting: If your church is thinking about going multisite, need help clarifying your multisite strategy, or stuck at a couple campuses and want to move forward we offer consulting solutions designed specifically for multisite churches!
Posted in Leadership