These are my notes and take-aways from Bill McDermott, Co-CEO and Executive Board Member of SAP.
- Leaders all have one thing in common…all leaders have followers
- All winners have a dream
- It all begins and ends with the customer
- Dream jobs aren’t as easy as the dream
- There are 2 kinds of people in organizations:
- #1 People who go for whatever opportunity comes along
- #2 People who wait around for the perfect opportunity
- When opportunity knocks…you have to be ready to go
- He took leadership of the worst performing region in the company
- In business everyone is so busy telling people what to do they forget to listen. And people always listen.
- He spent his first 3 weeks in his new job just listening to why they were 66 out of 66 in production (last).
- 3 things that the employees in the worst performing region asked for:
- #1 Stop cutting costs (give us the tools to do our job)
- #2 Give us a clear vision of what you want (tell me where I’m going)
- #3 Bring back our Christmas party (let’s have fun getting there)
- High expectations + simple plan = an underdog come from behind story
- “I am petrified of leaders who don’t understand the power of celebrating victories”
- The first thing that had to change was the mindset about what is possible
- Build your strategies for where the world is going…not where it has been
- In today’s world purpose matter more than ever before
- Your organization is either getting better, getting bored, or going broke
Have an audaciously bold dream for who you are and what yo mean for this world
Posted in Leadership