If you missed the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit this year, no worries I’ve got you covered. I’ll be posting my notes and thoughts from each presenter over the next couple of days.
Brian Houston is the Sr. Pastor of Australia based Hillsong Church, a global family of congregations comprising more than 100,000 weekly attendees. During this session Bill Hybels sat down with Brian for an interview…here are some of my take aways.
- He always knew that he wanted to be a pastor, he saw his dad go off to preach as a kid and knew that’s what he wanted to do when he grew up
- “New people bring new people”
- Handling personal crisis (in discussing a moral crisis in leadership at Hillsong)
- I probably didn’t handle the emotion of it very well
- I went into leadership mode and probably didn’t take care of myself very well
- I started imploding over a series of years because I looked after myself last
- Leaders have a tendency to live life near the red line and just a little more puts you over the line and in the danger zone
- The pain got so significant that it showed up in a physical way
- Music can be an arrowhead for a church and if a church is healthy it can be seen in the song of the church
- The church is resilient…it’s not just about personalities and talent that’s there for a season…but Jesus really is building His church
- Everyone who starts with you won’t end with you
- If you keep getting up and keep showing up you have a chance to see what Jesus wants to do
- Longevity is the greatest opportunity to seeing the fruit of what Jesus has called you to
Posted in Leadership