Listening to Coach Krzyzewski the legendary basketball coach at Duke University (no matter what you think about Duke) talk about getting high performers work together as a team and get great result out of them was incredible!
- In order to learn you’ve got to get out of your comfort zone
- A leader is someone who puts their people in a position to succeed at a consistent level and they build a culture and environment of success
- There’s no job that a leader should be too big to do
Simple Leadership practices that change everything if you do them:
- The most important thing about leadership is communication
- Always tell the truth (you can’t “wonder” about what other people on the team are doing or saying)
- Expect to hear the truth
- Take immediate action (deal with what’s going on instead of trying to figure out what’s going on)
- Trust (the most important part of leadership). If you don’t trust and if you don’t have trust 2 is not better than 1.
Getting high performing leaders play together:
- Don’t leave your ego at the door (be you)…but develop a collective ego as a team
- Establish permission to play standards
- Rules don’t lead and rules often times are not owned by the people being ruled. But standards are how we do things all the time.
- Standards are internally owned while rules are externally enforced
Posted in Leadership