As always John Maxwell put out some great content this year to chew on. Here are some of my take-aways:
- “The business schools reward complex behavior, but it’s the simple behavior that makes you effective in life” Warren Buffet
- There is a difference between a communicator and an educator. A communicator takes something complicated and makes it simple. An educator takes something simple and makes it complex.
- It isn’t easy to be simple, but it is effective.
- It is easy to be simplistic, but it isn’t easy to be simple.
- Simplistic = shallow and fast: “Experience is the best teacher”
- Complex = deep & slow: “Experience isn’t the best teacher because how many people do you know who are getting older but aren’t getting better?”
- Simple = deep & fast:
- Add: value to people. If you really want to be a leader then add value to people every day.
- Subtract: your leadership landmines.
- Multiply: your strengths by developing them
- Confidence doesn’t replace skill
- Divide: your weaknesses by delegating them
- A leader is like a quarterback. They don’t get paid to run the ball but to get the ball to the right players.
Posted in Leadership