Day 2 of Leadership Summit started off with Joseph Grenny, Co-Founder of VitalSmarts and best-selling author. He spoke on mastering the skill of influence, the topic of his book: Influencer: The New Science of Leading Change.
- Leadership is Intentional Influence.
- Bad behavior can feel good or bad and good behavior can feel bad or good.
- Your job as an influencer is to make the good stuff feel pleasurable and the bad stuff feel bad.
- Influencers understand that people can change the way they feel about behavior and decisions (we can talk ourselves into anything).
- Our ability as leaders is not just about motivating people but also acquiring the competence to do so.
- People change when we put together a strategy that includes impulses, motivation, training, cues, and accomplices.
- Don’t just teach principles connect them to values
- Help people frame specific daily decisions in godly ways
- Ability is a profound factor in influence…most people start on the right and move left – they start with skills and abilities and move towards motivation
- Practice setting must approximate the real world
- Small bites with consistent feedback and coaching is the best environment for increasing skill levels.
- You want to change the world, learn how to change behavior
Posted in Leadership