- You have been trusted with something, how are you proving that you can be trusted with more
- Faithfulness is not just sitting on what you’ve been given. It’s multiplying.
- Keeping things safe and steady, playing it safe, and maintaining is not God’s mission.
- Your legacy will be determined by what you do with what you’ve been entrusted with
The 3 E’s in Expanding your Leadership
#1 Enlarge your Vision
- What are the conversations like on your Board and Sr. Leadership Team?
- Is it about maintenance or multiplication?
- When people hear the vision it should inspire them to do big things for God and challenge their view of what God is like
- Don’t let popularity determine your vision but instead lean on what the Creator has put inside of you
- Enlarging your vision means staying focused and allowing your horizon to get bigger at the same time
- Start with the opportunities that are around you
- People don’t sacrifice their lives for a statement on a wall
#2 Empower your People
- Give people the resources they need to do their job and then leave, and let them figure out solutions
- Take wise chances and give people opportunities, regardless of your personal past hurts
- Don’t be duped by the package that leaders come in (what they look like)
- Leaders are all around you, you just need to find them
- Empowerment allows you to do things and go places you could never do or go on your own
- Your leadership reach will be determined by your ability to empower others
- Test it: take a long vacation and see what happens
- Focus on building their character before you empower them
- Empowerment happens through the context of relationship
- Agree upon the outcomes and measure results along the way
“Empowerment is not about control or the lack of control but changing what you control. Outcomes not people.”
#3 Embrace Risk
- Without taking risks it is impossible to please God
- Western society is all about eliminating risk
- Eliminating risk moves organizations towards preservation and protection
- Learn to see risk as your friend to love not your enemy to be feared
- Learn to see comfort and safety as your enemy
- Learn to increase your pain threshold: your leadership capacity is directly connected to your pain threshold
- Don’t let earthly practicalities overshadow heavenly possibilities
- Don’t take your dreams with you to heaven when you die, heaven doesn’t need it. It was put in you for now.
- Make a list of all the dreams and visions that you have not taken action on
- Put a time-frame next to them
- Write the name of the person who is going to hold you accountable
Posted in Leadership