Juliet Funt, a globally-recognized consultant and speaker, founded WhiteSpace at Work with the mission to unearth the potential of companies by unburdening their talent from busywork. She and her company help high-achieving teams execute better within the “Age of Overload” through light and enjoyable micro-learning digital courses. Teams that incorporate WhiteSpace mindsets and skill-sets increase productivity and engagement, reclaim lost capacity and execute at their finest.
- In the flow of our days we are all getting less comfortable with “the pause”
- This loss of time without assignment…the pause is where our best thinking and get our best ideas…it’s where we do our best work
- This pause is the most endangered species
- 100% exertion and 0% thoughtfulness
- When talented people don’t have time to think business suffers
- #1 we are too busy to become less busy
- #2 we don’t count the cost
- There is a HUGE cost of worshiping the false god of business
- Does work have to be this way forever?
- Whitespace is the secret ingredient to improve productivity
- Whitespace is a strategic pause taken between activities
- Great leaders naturally use whitespace
- You can’t rush the cooking of a great idea
- Strategic pause
3 Things that are not Whitespace
- #1 it is not meditation
- #2 it is not mind wandering
- #3 it is not mindfulness
- It is giving yourself permission to think the unthunk spot
- Decrapify your workflow
Become conscious of the thieves (four thieves)
- Busyness always feels like its our fault
- Busyness is not a personal problem it’s a society problem
- These are also linked to our personality
- They all have values and faults
- Your time in the presence of the thieves is a space that will be filled
- Defeat them with the questions
- Is there anything I can let go of?
- Where is “good enough” good enough?
- What do I truly need to know?
- What deserves my attention?
- whitespacegls.com (tool)
- When’s the best time to plant a tree? 20 years ago…when’s the 2nd best time? today
Posted in Leadership